Skip to Main Content
  • New motorcyclists must take and pass the Basic Rider Course (BRC or BRCu) through an FRTP authorized sponsor before they can have the motorcycle endorsement added to their license
    • A list of FRTP authorized sponsors can be found on the FLHSMV website
  • Individuals applying for a driver license with motorcycle endorsement must be at least 16 years of age and hold a valid Class E or commercial driver license (for Motorcycle Only licenses please see below)
  • If you are coming from another state (other than Alabama) and your license is endorsed for motorcycle operation, Florida will reciprocate the endorsement and the motorcycle course will not be required
  • Upon completing the Basic Rider Course, visit one of our offices to add the endorsement to your driver license (Please note: appointments are encouraged and prioritized - schedule one online
  • The fee to add a motorcycle endorsement is $7.00 plus the $31.25 replacement fee for the license


To obtain a “Motorcycle Only” driver license you must:

  • Be at least 16 years old, and if under 18, hold at least a learner’s license for one year with no traffic convictions
  • Pass the same knowledge test as for a regular Class E operator’s driver license
  • You must complete the Basic Rider Course (BRC) or the Basic Rider Course updated (BRCu) with an authorized Sponsor
  • After you complete the Basic Rider Course (BRC) or the Basic Rider Course updated (BRCu), visit a driver license office or tax collector office that issues licenses and inform them that you completed the required course. Upon providing proper ID and paying the required endorsement fees your “Motorcycle Only” license will be issued
  • Your license will be restricted to operating “Motorcycles Only”
Back to top