Skip to Main Content

Registration Renewal Kiosks

  • Renew your vehicle registration at kiosks at select locations throughout Pinellas County.
  • Using touchscreen technology, the kiosks allow you to walk away, decal in hand, in under two minutes! 
    • Kiosks accept credit or debit cards only.
    • There is a 2.3% convenience fee per kiosk transaction.
  • English or Spanish instructions guide you through the process, making it nice and easy. 
  • Please note - kiosk renewals are not available for customers with holds or stops on their account.



Tax Collector Locations:  

  • North County – 29399 US Hwy 19 N, Clearwater, FL 33761  
  • Mid County(TEMPORARILY CLOSED)– 13025 Starkey Rd, Largo, FL 33773  
  • Gulf to Bay – 1663 Gulf to Bay Blvd, Clearwater, FL 33755  
  • South County – 2500 34th St N, St. Petersburg, FL 33713  


Publix Locations:  



Vehicle & Trailer Registrations 

Important Info:

  • All motor vehicles and trailers (including boat trailers) that are operated on public roadways must be registered. 
  • Florida uses metal license plates that must be displayed on the back of the vehicle. 


  • Trailers weighing 1,999 lbs or less are required to be registered, but not titled 
    • To register a trailer weighing 1,999 lbs or less, the following would need to be provided in place of a title:  
      • New manufactured trailers
        • A copy of the Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin (MCO) and a bill of sale showing a complete chain of ownership
      • New homemade trailers
        • A certified weight slip if the trailer is over 500 lbs
      • Used trailers (homemade or manufactured)
        • A bill of sale showing a complete chain of ownership along with a complete description of the trailer (VIN, manufacturer, year)
        • If the trailer has not been registered in Florida and the weight is not listed on the out-of-state registration or title, a certified weight slip is required
  • Trailers weighing 2,000 lbs or more need to be titled and registered
    • To register a trailer weighing 2,000 lbs or more, the following would need to be provided:
      • Travel Trailers or Recreational Trailers:
        • Title
      • Any trailer that is not a recreational trailer:
        • Previous Title
          • If the weight is not listed on the title, a weight slip is required
        • Either bring the trailer for verification OR
        • Bring in Form HSMV 82042, VIN Verification Form, filled out by a notary or other approved person as outlined on the form
    • For information about titling trailers that are 2,000 lbs or more, please visit our title page

Expiration Dates:

  • Most registrations will expire at midnight on the first registered owner’s birthday. 
  • Vehicles registered in a company name will expire on June 30th. 
  • Trucks weighing over 5,000 lbs empty weight AND with a gross vehicle weight (GVW) weighing 8,000 lbs or more will expire on December 31st.   




    • Any license plate or validation decal that is being reported lost by the owner must be replaced. A completed Application for Replacement License Plate, Validation Decal, or Parking Permit - Form HSMV 83146 - must be submitted and replacement fees are required.  
      • If the plate or decal was applied for by mail or online and lost in transit, no replacement fee will be charged if the date of issuance is 180 calendar days or less. 



    • License plates or registration decals that have been stolen are eligible to be replaced at no charge if you bring the following to the office:
      • A police report or the report number on a law enforcement agency’s business card or victim’s pamphlet 
      • A completed Application for Replacement License Plate, Validation Decal, or Parking Permit - Form HSMV 83146



    • License plates and decals that have sustained physical damage or have become illegible due to factors such as fading caused by the sun should be replaced. 
    • If the customer returns a defaced license plate or decal and provides a copy of a citation written by a law enforcement officer which cites the defaced or damaged item, it will be replaced for free
      • Make sure to fill out and bring a completed Application for Replacement License Plate, Validation Decal, or Parking Permit - Form HSMV 83146
      •  to one of our offices (Please note: appointments are encouraged and prioritized - schedule one online)

License Plates

  • Florida offers three standard license plate options includingthe county name plate, “Sunshine State” plate, and the “In God We Trust” plate.
  • In Florida, all license plates are required to be replaced every 10 years and will be done so at no additional fee. 

Specialty plates:  

  • In addition to the yearly registration renewal fee, an additional annual use fee is charged for each specialty plate.
    • This fee is applied to the fund used to support the cause for which the plate was designed. 
    • A $5.00 annual processing fee is also collected.  
  • The best time to apply for a specialty plate is when the current plate is due for replacement (this occurs every 10 years).
    • Specialty plates may also be purchased before the current plate is due, at an extra price of $28. 
  • Check out available specialty plates on the FLMSHV website!

Personalized plates:  

  • You can order your personalized plate at one of our offices (Please note: appointments are encouraged and prioritized - schedule one online)
  • A personalized license plate can be ordered at any time. 
  • The first time a personalized plate is issued, a manufacturing fee of $28.00 is charged, along with the other costs, taxes, and fees.
  • Renewal of a personalized plate may be done with the regular registration after the first year for an additional $15.00.  
    • Check the availability of your personalized plate online!


Temporary Plates:  

  • Florida law provides for a variety of legal uses of temporary license plates. Temporary license plates may be used for a period of 10, 30, or 90 days according to the reason why the plate was issued. 
  • The following situations would qualify for a temporary plate:  
    • When a motor vehicle or trailer is required to be weighed for registration purposes
    • When a motor vehicle or motorcycle is required to have a VIN verification to apply for a FL certificate of title
    • For demonstration purposes by the seller
      • A temporary license plate cannot be issued for demonstration purposes if the current vehicle owner has not previously registered the vehicle
        • A temporary license plate cannot be issued in place of renewal of the license plate currently assigned to the vehicle
      • When the purchaser of a motor vehicle/motorcycle is waiting for the Florida certificate of title to be released by the previous owner's lienholder
      • When an out-of-state resident, subject to registration in this state, must secure ownership documentation from their home state
      • When a motor vehicle, motorcycle, or recreational vehicle is sold in this state to a resident of another state for registration in their home state and is not required to be registered under the provisions of section 320.38, Florida Statutes. Sales and use tax will apply.  
      • A ninety (90) day temporary license plate may be issued to a customer upon application for a personalized or special license plate, while the license plate is being manufactured



Surrendering a Plate:

  • License plates must be surrendered to one of our offices in the following instances:
    • Before your car insurance is cancelled
    • When a vehicle is sold
    • When you move out of state and cancel your Florida insurance
  • Your driver license could be suspended if you do not surrender your plate during the above situations.
  • No need to visit an office!
    • You can drop your plate in one of our drop boxes located outside our North County, Gulf to Bay, or South County offices (find locations online) or mail it to the address below:
      • Please include a note with your contact info and why you are surrendering the plate
      • Mailing address
        • PO Box 6288, Clearwater, FL 33758-6288 
  • If you need to surrender a plate that is not registered to you, this will require a visit to one of our offices. (Please note appointments are encouraged and prioritized - schedule one online)
  • If the plate is not physically available – you will need to complete a UDS 305 Multi-Purpose Affidavit and provide that along with your ID at the time of service

***IMPORTANT:  When surrendering a plate, the yellow decal cannot be removed and placed on another plate or item

New FL Residents

  • In the state of Florida, a motor vehicle is required by law to be registered within 30 days of the owner either becoming employed, placing children in public school, or establishing residency.
  • Registering your motor vehicle goes hand in hand with the titling process.
  • To complete an out-of-state title transfer, you will need the following:  
    • Proof of Florida insurance (must state it is a Florida Policy)  
      • The Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (FLHSMV) does not require proof of insurance for:   
        • Motorcycles   
        • Trailers   
        • Boats   
        • Mobile Homes   
        • Off-Highway Vehicles   
    • Valid ID for all vehicle owners. Examples include: 
      • State issued driver license / ID card (includes US Territories)   
      • Passport from any country   
      • Canadian driver license / ID card   
    • VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) Verification 
      • Either bring your vehicle for verification or
      • Bring in Form HSMV 82042, VIN Verification Form, filled out by a notary or other approved person as outlined on the form 
    • Title
      • If a lien holder/bank has the title, you will need to provide one of the following:
        • Out-of-state registration or renewal notice (can be up to six months after expiration) 
        • Verification from the Department of Motor Vehicles
        • A copy of the out-of-state title 
        • A letter/fax from the lienholder 
      • For a leased vehicle, you need to bring the lease agreement and registration


  • All owners must be present. In the event one co-owner cannot be present, an authorized power of attorney form, HSMV 82053, may be completed, and the original signed form along with a copy of the absent owner’s valid identification must be presented at time of transaction.    


  • Any business is required to submit documentation showing it is a registered business.   


  • If you purchased your motor vehicle or vessel less than six months ago in another state, territory of the United States, or the District of Columbia, the full amount of six percent Florida sales tax and local one percent local discretionary sales tax is required to be paid before a title and registration can be issued.
    • However, a credit may be allowed for a like tax paid in another state or territory of the United States or in the District of Columbia, against the amount of Florida sales or use tax and local discretionary sales surtax.


Title and Registration:

  • Non-Resident military members stationed in Florida have the option to title and register their vehicle in Florida, or they may display a current license plate from their home state.
  • Relocation outside of the state of Florida will require the military member to register in their home state or new duty station.
    • A vehicle maintained in Florida must have Florida insurance.  
  • Florida resident military members stationed in another state are permitted to submit out-of-state insurance when registering motor vehicles. You must fill out the Military Insurance Affidavit and comply with the requirements listed.


Military Service-Related Plates:



  • Any vehicle with a current Florida registration must:  
    • Be insured with personal injury protection (PIP) and property damage liability (PDL) insurance at the time of vehicle registration
  • Have a minimum of $10,000 in PIP AND a minimum of $10,000 in PDL.
    • Additionally, vehicles registered as taxis must carry bodily injury liability (BIL) coverage of $125,000 per person, $250,000 per occurrence and $50,000 for (PDL) coverage.  
  • Have continuous coverage even if the vehicle is not being driven or is inoperable. Surrender the license plate/tag BEFORE cancelling your insurance.  
  • Purchase the policy from an insurance carrier licensed to do business in Florida.
    • If you are new to the state, you may ask your agent to transfer your current insurance to a Florida policy.  
  • Maintain Florida insurance coverage continuously throughout the registration period regardless of the vehicle’s location.
    • Military members stationed out-of-state/country may be exempt.   



  • Combined bodily liability and property damage liability (Combined Single Limit or CSL) coverage amounts required are based on the declared GVW (gross vehicle weight). When registering, you will need to show your policy listing the actual amount of CSL coverage:  
      • 26,001-34,999 lbs. GVW = $50,000 coverage  
      • 35,000-43,999 lbs. GVW = $100,000 coverage  
      • 44,000-80,000 lbs. GVW = $300,000 coverage  
  • A split limit policy is acceptable if the policy limits meet or exceed required coverage.
  • Vehicles with a GVW of 10,000 pounds or more which transport hazardous materials, as well as all for-hire interstate carriers, are required to carry $750,000 CSL coverage.   


Registering a Mobile Home

  • All mobile homes, including those owned by nonresidents located in Florida, continuously occupied or not, must be registered.
    • The registration period for mobile homes runs from January 1st to December 31st.
    • Registration fees are determined by the length of the mobile home.
    • Double and triple wide mobile homes are considered separate units, and a registration decal must be purchased for each unit. 
    • Mobile homes are issued registration decals that must be displayed in the lower left corner of the window of the mobile home that is closest to the street that provides access to it.  
    • Visit the FLHSMV MyDMV Portal to renew your mobile home registration or replace a lost or stolen registration decal online.


Real Property Mobile Homes  

  • Mobile homes or recreational vehicle-type units are considered real property when the owner of the unit is also the owner of the land that it is situated on. 
    • The unit must also be tied down and hooked up to the normal and usual utilities.  
  • Real property mobile homes are not subject to yearly registration fees and do not have to be issued a new registration decal yearly. 
    • A permanent “Real Property” decal will be issued and is transferrable to new owners when the land and mobile home are sold as a unit.  
  • Before a mobile home can be considered real property, owners will have to obtain a DR-402, Declaration of Mobile Home as Real Property, from the property appraiser’s office indicating the land and mobile home titles are in the same owner’s name. 
    • The completed form will need to be submitted to the tax collector’s office when applying for a “Real Property” registration decal. 
    • The DR-402 must be submitted to the tax collector’s office in the county that the mobile home is physically located.  


  • A “Commercial Motor Vehicle” is a vehicle not owned by the government, with a gross vehicle weight (GVW) of 26,001 lbs. or more; or has three or more axles regardless of weight; or is used in combination (vehicle plus trailer) when the weight of such combination exceeds 26,001 pounds gross vehicle weight.  
  • If the empty weight is 5,000 lbs. or less, the truck is not considered a commercial motor vehicle.
    • The registration would be based on net (empty) weight, and the GVW would not be required.  


Customer-Declared GVW  

  • A heavy truckis defined as a vehicle weighing more than 5,000 lbs., registered based on gross vehicle weight (GVW) and used to carry or pull (with a trailer) goods other than the personal effects of the passengers.  
  • If the empty weight exceeds 5,000, and the GVW is 26,000 or less (26,001 or less for a truck-trailer combination), the heavy truck registration is based on the GVW, which must be declared by the owner upon registration.
    • These trucks are not considered commercial vehicles. One plate is issued, and it is displayed on the rear of the vehicle.  
  • If the declared GVW is 26,001-80,000 lbs. (26,002-80,000 for a truck/trailer combo), the heavy truck is considered a commercial vehicle.
    • If the vehicle travels intrastate (only in Florida), two plates are issued, and the plate displaying the decal is attached to the front of the vehicle.  
  • If the vehicle is a truck-tractor or tractor, it will be issued one plate, which is displayed on the front of the vehicle.  
  • It is the owner/operator’s responsibility to ensure that the declared GWV remains accurate throughout the registration period.
    • If the declared GVW needs to be changed (i.e., increased) at any time during the registration period, please contact our office at for information and instructions.  
  • A half-year rate may be requested when the GVWis between 15,000-80,000 lbs. The semi-annual registration periods are Dec. 1 to May 31 and June 1 to Dec. 31.  
  • If the vehicle’s empty weight is 5,001-7,999 lbs., you may declare the GVWfor the truck only (do not add the GVW of a trailer you may be towing).  
  • If the vehicle’s empty weight is 8,000 lbs. or more, you must declare the combined GVW of the vehicle and any trailer you may be towing.  


Commercial Driver License Requirement  

  • If you operate a vehicle with a GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating), declared weight, or actual weight (whichever is greatest) of 26,001 pounds or more, transport hazardous materials, or carry 15 or more passengers (including the driver), you will need a CDL (Commercial Driver License) and all applicable endorsements. 
  • For additional information on CDL licenses and endorsements, please visit the FLHSMV’s website.


Insurance Requirements

  • Combined bodily liability and property damage liability (Combined Single Limit or CSL) coverage amounts required are based on the declared GVW (gross vehicle weight). When registering, you will need to show your policy listing the actual amount of CSL coverage:  
      • 26,001-34,999 lbs. GVW = $50,000 coverage  
      • 35,000-43,999 lbs. GVW = $100,000 coverage  
      • 44,000-80,000 lbs. GVW = $300,000 coverage  
  • A split limit policy is acceptable if the policy limits meet or exceed required coverage.
  • Vehicles with a GVW of 10,000 pounds or more which transport hazardous materials, as well as all for-hire interstate carriers, are required to carry $750,000 CSL coverage.   


Heavy Vehicle Use Tax (HVUT)  

  • If the declared GVW (gross vehicle weight) is 55,000 lbs. or more, proof of filing, payment, or exemption of HVUT (Heavy Vehicle Use Tax) must be shown prior to issuance of a registration.
  • Heavy trucks involved in intrastate commerce (only driven in Florida) and interstate commerce (driven in Florida and any other state) are both subject to HVUT.
  • The owner should complete IRS Form 2290 - Heavy Highway Vehicle Use Tax Return - including Schedule 1 (Schedule of Heavy Highway Vehicles) and submit payment to the IRS.
  • If the vehicle was purchased within the past 60 days, the new owner is not required to show proof of payment of HVUT for the issuance of the first registration.  


International Registration Plan (IRP)  

  • IRP vehicles are commercial motor vehicles engaged in interstate travel (traveling between Florida and any other state).
  • These vehicles must display apportioned license plates, which are issued by the Bureau of Motor Carrier Services in Tallahassee.
  • Application for apportioned license plates must be made on HSMV form 85900 - International Registration Plan Florida Application - which includes instructions.
  • All applications, renewals, additions, and corrections for apportioned license plates should be submitted to:  

Division of Motor Vehicles  
Bureau of Motor Carrier Services  
Neil Kirkman Building, Room A-110  
Tallahassee, FL 32399-0626  

  • The fees for an apportioned plate are calculated by GVW (gross vehicle weight or combined GVW) multiplied by the percentage of miles driven in a particular state.
    • Since these calculations are done by means of a computerized system at the Motor Carrier Services office in Tallahassee, the Tax Collector’s office is not able to provide price quotations or estimates.  
  • For information on apportioned registration fees, detailed questions, issues with apportioned license plates or requirements, please contact the Bureau of Motor Carrier Services directly at 850-488-6921.  
  • For more information on IRP requirements, please visit the FLHSMV’s website. A detailed IRP Trucking Manual is also available.    


International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA)  

  • The IFTA program is administered by the Bureau of Motor Carrier Services. Only those vehicles engaged in interstate travel would be affected by IFTA requirements. Please refer to Chapter 207 of the Florida Statutes for a description of the vehicles affected by this agreement.  
  • For more info, a detailed IFTA Trucking Manual is available on the FLHSMV website.


For details about related fees, please view our fee chart.

Back to top