Skip to Main Content

Florida Title Transfer

  • To transfer a Florida title, the seller must fill out the transfer information on the current title, including the purchaser’s name, selling price, and odometer reading at the time of sale. 
  • All transfers of ownership must be completed within 30 days of the sale date on the title.
    • Failure to do so will result in a $20.00 penalty levied at the time of transfer.  
  • Unsure of how to complete a title? View a Sample

FL Titles with Two or More Owners

  • If you are purchasing a vehicle and would like to have co-owners on the title, all owners need to be present at the initial title transfer.
    • In Florida, vehicles, mobile homes, or vessels that are owned by two or more owners can have the ownership joined by either an “and” or “or” on their title work.
    • Owners joined by “and” indicates that the owners share equal responsibility for the vehicle, mobile home, or vessel, and all owners must be present or have the title certificate signed by each owner as seller for the title to be transferred out of their names.  
      • If a co-owner cannot be present, an authorized power of attorney form, HSMV 82053, may be completed. Bring the original signed form along with a copy of the absent owner’s valid ID to your title appointment.
    • Owners joined by “or” indicates that either owner can take individual responsibility for the vehicle, mobile home, or vessel, and either owner may be present or may sign a bill of sale for the title to be transferred out of their names.
      • When a title with two owners is joined by “or,” neither owner can remove their own name leaving the title in the name of the other owner.
      • If one co-owner removes the other, the remaining owner must make application for title.  
    • Unsure of how to complete a title? View a Sample

Out-of-State Title Transfers

  • To complete an out-of-state title transfer, you will need the following:
    • Proof of Florida insurance (must state it is a Florida Policy) 
      • The Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (FLHSMV) does not require proof of insurance for:  
        • Motorcycles  
        • Trailers  
        • Boats  
        • Mobile Homes  
        • Off-Highway Vehicles  
    • Valid ID for all vehicle owners. Examples include:
      • State-issued driver license / ID card (includes US Territories)  
      • Passport from any country  
      • Canadian driver license / ID card  
    • VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) Verification
      • Either bring your vehicle for verification OR
      • Bring in Form HSMV 82042, VIN Verification Form, filled out by a notary or other approved person as outlined on the form
    • Title
      • If a lien holder/bank has the title, you will need to provide one of the following:
        • Out-of-state registration or renewal notice (can be up to six months after expiration) 
        • Verification from the Department of Motor Vehicles
        • A copy of the out-of-state title 
        • A letter/fax from the lienholder 
      • For a leased vehicle, you need to bring the lease agreement and registration


  • All owners must be present. In the event one co-owner cannot be present, an authorized power of attorney form, HSMV 82053, may be completed, and the original signed form along with a copy of the absent owner’s valid identification must be presented at the time of transaction.   


  • Any business is required to submit documentation showing it is a registered business.    

Obtain a Duplicate Florida Title

  • Skip the trip to an office – get your duplicate title in the mail!
    • Send a completed HSMV 82101 application, a copy of your driver’s license, and the applicable fees to:

Pinellas County Tax Collector

P.O. Box 6288

Clearwater, FL 33758

**The Pinellas County Tax Collector’s Office is partnered with Envision Payment Solutions for the recovery of returned checks. Returned checks may be electronically represented to your account along with a returned check fee. Envision can be contacted at 1-877-290-5460. ​

  • Our offices offer duplicate title services for lost or stolen titles.
    • $78.25 to have the title mailed to you
    • $85.75 for a fast title which will be printed in office same day
  • When names on the title are joined by the word “and,” all owners must sign an application for duplicate title, HSMV 82101. 
    • If a co-owner cannot be present, an authorized power of attorney form, HSMV 82053, must be completed. Bring the original signed form along with a copy of the absent owner’s valid ID to your title appointment.
  • When there is an outstanding lien on record, only the lienholder may apply for a duplicate title.  
  • If the address on record is different than the applicant’s current address, proof of address will be required.
  • A current odometer reading must be submitted with every application. 
    • A motor vehicle with a model year of 2011 or newer can be exempt after twenty years and a motor vehicle with a model year of 2010 or older can be exempt after ten years.  

Electronic Title Information

  • During a title transfer, an individual can request to have their title remain electronic.
  • If there is a lien against the vehicle, the title will automatically be electronic unless the lien holder requests a paper title. 
    • Upon vehicle payoff, the title will continue to be electronic unless the owner requests the title to be printed.  
  • Electronic titles may be printed in office for a fee of $10. 
  • Skip the trip to an office! Request your title to be sent in the mail using MyDMV Portal.
  • Electronic titles can be transferred without printing the title if the buyer and seller complete a secure reassignment document in one of our offices.
    • Both buyer and seller need to be present to complete this form, Power of Attorney cannot be used.
    • A paper title would need to be printed and completed if either the buyer or seller cannot be present, or if the vehicle is going to be registered out of state.  
  • If you are going to trade your vehicle to a Florida dealer, the dealer will have access to your electronic title, and it does not need to be printed. 

Selling a Vehicle

  • Anyone selling, trading, or gifting a vehicle will be required to complete the “transfer of title by seller” section of the title in full before the title can be transferred to a new owner. 
    • This sectionmust be completed by the seller(s) with the selling price, date of sale, odometer reading (if required), and names of all purchasers. 
    • If left incomplete, the purchaser will not be able to be complete the title in office unless a correctly completed bill of sale is provided by the seller with the title.
    • Unsure of how to complete a title? View a Sample
  • Anyone selling, trading, or gifting a vehicle must notify our offices of the transfer of ownership using form HSMV 82050 or the notice of sale located on the back of the Florida title. 
    • This will allow our offices to mark the title “sold” in the system and will also detach the plate and registration from the vehicle in the system.  
  • Surrendering the plate that was attached to the vehicle will be required unless you notify the department of the sale. 
    • Due to financial responsibility laws in Florida, this should be completed before the insurance policy on the vehicle is cancelled. 
    • If you do not want to surrender your plate or want to keep your plate to transfer to another vehicle, you must notify our offices of the sale or your license could be suspended. 
    • If you do not wish to keep the plate that was attached to the vehicle, you must surrender it to one of our offices (in person or via drop box).
    • Find more info about surrendering a plate.

Sales Tax

  • All vehicles obtained in a private sale will be subject to Florida state sales tax (6%) and Pinellas county discretionary tax (1% on the first $5,000, max $50). 
  • If you just purchased the vehicle, you will be required to pay sales tax if applicable.
  • If you have owned the vehicle for less than 6 months, proof of sales tax paid must be submitted with your out-of-state title documents.
    • A dealer invoice or title/registration which specifically list sales tax paid, are the most common ways to prove this.
  • For sales tax questions, you should contact the Florida Department of Revenue at 1-800-352-3671. 


For details about related fees, please view our fee chart.

Back to top