Skip to Main Content

Florida Learner’s Permit Requirements

  1. Be at least 15 years old
  2. Pass a vision test
  3. Complete a DHSMV-approved Traffic Law and Substance Abuse Education Course (4hr Drug and Alcohol Course)
    • A list of FLHSMV-approved course providers can be found online
  4. Pass the Class E knowledge exam either through:
    • Driver’s education
    • Online (only those under the age of 18 are eligible to take the knowledge exam online)
      • Find more info at the FLHSMV’s website
    • At any Pinellas County tax collector location except the Courthouse in downtown Clearwater
      • In-office knowledge exams have a 60-minute time limit and are limited to two attempts per day
      • The tax collector fee to set up each customer for a test is $6.25
        • This fee is collected before the test begins and is charged only one time per office visit
      • The State of Florida charges $10.00 per test
        • This fee is collected after the test is over
        • The state waives this fee on the first attempt
  5. Have one parent or legal guardian present or have their signature on a notarized Parental Consent Form (if the applicant is under age 18)
  6. Have the signature of one parent or legal guardian on the Parent Proctoring Form (if the knowledge exam was taken online)
  7. Be in good standing regarding school attendance policies


What to Bring

  • Customers who have never had a Florida ID or driver license MUST bring the following Real ID documents to be issued a learner's permit:

1. Proof of Identification (not a driver license or ID)

        • Valid U.S. Passport OR
        • Original or certified birth certificate

2. Proof of Social Security

3. TWO Proofs of Residential Address (not a driver license or ID)

        • Mail from financial institutions including checking, savings, or investment account statements
        • Mail from federal, state, county, or city government agencies
        • Educational institution transcript forms for the current school year
        • Proof of any & all name changes
          • If your name is different than what appears on your birth certificate or passport 
        • Customers who do not have proof of residential address in their name may provide TWO proofs of residential address from a parent, step-parent, legal guardian, or another person with whom they reside and a Certification of Address form


** Required documents may differ depending on citizenship and immigration status. For more information, visit our Real ID and Required Documents page

Back to top